Monday, March 11, 2013

#Redbox52: Feel like a hero

I've decided to call this movie thing I'm doing the Redbox 52 since every movie I'm reviewing will be a new release from the Redbox. So, what was today's movie...


Normally when I think of police movies or a lot of different action movies, I assume that the plot will be lackluster, the acting will be meh and I'm really in it for the bangs. 

This movie was not that.

I was floored by the movie because it was really, really good. I enjoyed the dialogue between characters, the relationships that you saw grow, and found myself getting almost teary eyed as I finished it up.

What made this movie great was that it didn't focus on all the different relationships in the movie, it focused primarily on the partnership between police officers Brian Taylor and Miguel Zavala. We see these two characters go through plenty together and watch their bond as brothers on the force grow. 

That in and of itself was probably the most surprising thing about this film. When I put the movie in, I wasn't expecting to be blown away, I was expecting to see a cop movie where the good guys win, the bad guys go down, car chases, gun fights, the whole 9 yards, and to an extent I got that, but on top of that I got a story of two men going through it.

There are plenty of laughs and the ability to watch the characters grow in their personal relationships as they go through different stages in their life.

Behind my badge is a heart like yours. I bleed, I think, I love, and yes I can be killed. And although I am but one man, I have thousands of brothers and sisters who are the same as me.
The movie starts with a monologue from Brian Taylor and it tugged at my heart strings. Working in news has caused me to meet a lot of police officers which ultimately means that I associate each of the characters with real people. So of course, I had to call them up to see how they felt about the movie and admit that yes I did cry when blahblahblahnotgoingtoruinitblahblahblah happened or I laughed extra hard when soandso said suchandsuchathing...but more importantly, it made me appreciate what they do  and the sacrifices they make every day.

Anyway, the movie is good, especially as someone who doesn't believe in this whole screw the police mentality, it lets you see things from their perspective...I definitely would recommend it to any and everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover