Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Choosing your battles

Every day has it's own challenges.

I promise, this is one of the first things that goes through my mind as I type in the code to go into work every single day, that every day has it's separate challenge and they will come in various forms. One day it may be a confrontation with a coworker, the next it could just be a story that doesn't have many visual elements, and other days it's just a lack of motivation…but the most important thing that I have to try and focus on is that each day will have it's own battle so dragging my feelings about former battles rather than picking up the lessons along the way will do nothing to help in the fight.

Breathe in, breathe out.

The beauty of not letting every tiny fight turn into a big one that becomes a burden is simple: you live better. You're happier and have a tendency to be more aware of what's going on around you and what situations to simply avoid.

I have a problem with picking my battles wisely because I have an even more annoying problem with wanting to be right. It's not so much that I want to be right for gloating or to make someone else wrong, but I want to be right because I don't like being in the wrong. I'm almost positive I can find a way to justify any action that I take, and while some days I can be honest and say the action - or lack of action - was because I wasn't didn't do what I should have done, other days, I have a reason…and frankly, my reasons are generally pretty logical, but if there's one thing I've learned from working in news: logic doesn't always win.

Crazy. I know.

Sometimes protocol is more important than anything else and while it may not seem to be the best, it's not the worker bee's call to make. I'm learning more and more every day and it seems that being a worker bee has never been my strong suit, that said I don't think it has to be for me to be successful, I believe being creative is an important asset to have in your back pocket, but when your creativity gets in the way of your productivity, that's never a positive, and then maybe you've got to reevaluate your priorities.

You live and you learn, oh Alanis Morissette, how you do speak the truth on this warm, sunny morning.

P.S. Jagged Little Pill was/is and probably always will be one of my favorite albums and has been since 1995 - let's not talk about a 6 year old singing "All I Really Want" like it's a life anthem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover