Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Wisdom from Toronto

Happy Tuesday! If you're a normal person, you're almost halfway through the week, if you're me, or anyone with an abnormal schedule that is the same as mine (lol) today is your Thursday which gives Wednesday/Hump Day even MORE joy because it's my Friday.

I'm dancing in my seat.

Anyway, a couple years ago, I made my way to Toronto for one of my most memorable summer experiences yet, Caribana. While the memories there were spectacular (it seriously is something I must do again) it also brought a couple unexpected ah-ha moments in the form of an art display…and also in just the city itself.

The display was prints and quotes from Andrew Zuckerman's book, Wisdom. I don't remember where I was in Toronto at the time, but I am eternally grateful that I made the decision to walk into wherever I was and take in what was there for me to see. I have a few favorites (of course) but I had to share my top two with you.



I don't think there's anything more meaningful (aside from Scripture) to my life than these two things. The admission that the heart is what matters most of all (actually something that coincides with faith) and the idea that there are only two stages in life, growth or decay. Both of these things are applicable no matter where you are in life, the state of your heart will change everything in your life, what you value, what you care for, what you chase after, be it money or righteousness. The idea that standing still is decay is something that some people don't always want to recognize: becoming complacent, being absolutely satisfied with exactly where you are is almost the same as giving up - because there's always something more, whether it's getting better at your tasks or simply giving more of yourself to it or to others. There's always room for growth and the desire to see that happen in our lives separates those that achieve greatness in their life from those that will settle into their comfort zone.

As a final note: Toronto, you have my heart. I will have to come back, because any place that puts ads like this one on the walls is a place that I want to be. 

It's my hope that words of inspiration will soon be plastered all over the place. Words that encourage people to love one another, to give to one another, to care for their fellow man not expecting anything in return…to truly make man kind.

Have a happy day you guys - SMILE AT SOMEONE! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover