Tuesday, January 1, 2013

And so it begins

For some reason, coming into 2013 didn't have the same excitement the other years have had in the past...maybe it's because I have a new understanding of what a new year means. People give so much significance to this idea of having a chance to have a new beginning, a new start, as if they couldn't do it at any other time.

That sounds so cynical and pessimistic, doesn't it? Yeesh...what has 2012 done to me? I could have sworn that this time last year, I was a much more cheerful person, but this time last year I was in a very different spot. I was close to family, I kind of had friends, and even though there wasn't really anyone that I had anything serious with, though there was someone in the picture, I at least had the distractions of a big city to keep me sustained.

Things have changed, so very much.

To say that 2012 was a wash wouldn't be an accurate portrayal of the year either. I mean, I moved away from the cold and back to Florida, I made trips to see friends, went to my first music festival, got the job I've always wanted, but oddly enough, I'm not happy.

I think I never let that thought really sink in. We spend so much time saying it's not okay to be unhappy or lonely, but it's just a natural part of life. In the same way that you won't be good at everything you do, you will fail, you will be bad at something, you will drop the ball in the most humiliating fashion and sometimes everyone will see - but it's only bad if you choose to stay there...there's nothing wrong with addressing it.

I came into 2013 with a smile on my face, but also with the knowledge that there are things I want to change. I know that I have picked my motto for the year, which hopefully will stick for the rest of my life. It's more of an idea than a motto, realistically speaking, the idea that in all that I do, I will commit. When things get hard, I will simply go harder. That's all...and that's with everything in my life.

From my relationship with God to this blog to learning to play guitar. I have a bunch of things that I've just half done, half committed to and this year, I'm devoted to making the most of my time and the most of my life.

I know I have a lot to look forward to, but most of all, I can look forward to 2013 being significantly better than 2012 on the premise that I will fight for it to be better, in every way. Does that mean that I will get everything right? No, and that's something I will have to come to accept...it's not about being right, it's not about being perfect, it's about fighting, persevering in the face of defeat and that is something I can do and will do.

So, 2013...I hope you're as ready for me as I am for you.

3 comments:

  1. Why aren't you happy? What do you need that is missing?

    P.s. I am looking forward to you blogging more too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize, because this is going to be a long explanation of a simple concept.

      Short version: I'm lonely.

      Long Version: I haven't been happy overall in awhile. I think I've had moments, times of happiness, times when I felt okay with my situation, but to say that I was satisfied or felt fulfilled over the course of the year would be a lie.

      I think the things I'm missing the most is companionship, not necessarily a boyfriend, but dependable people as a whole. While there are some grand folks out here that are very fun to be around, to call them friends would be a stretch. Moving to a new area and being completely alone has got to be one of the most draining situations to be in for me, emotionally, physically, and spiritually.

      That being said, I've finally (as in, within the last 2 months) found a reliable friend, someone that I can workout with, go out to eat with, just have a good time and it feels natural and fun and I know that she and I have common goals. I haven't had anyone close to me or felt like I had anyone that I could talk to in my time here and it sucks.

      At one point, I thought that made me weak, to need to have other people near me, but I realize now that it's just a part of how I function. I thrive in relationships, I thrive in ongoing social interactions and I haven't had it so I feel stretched thin, especially considering that I've been *trying* to make friendships happen and they've been unremarkable to say the least.

      Delete
  2. <3 you girl. You know I'm always here for you!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover