Monday, January 14, 2013

Working hard, hardly working...

Preparing to leave the house on a boat - thankful I wore a dress.
Every now and then I have to admit, I have an awesome job.

It's not like you have to drag it out of me, I adore what I do, it's literally everything I've wanted for at least a decade, probably (as in definitely) longer.

Saturday, I had the pleasure of enjoying free and fantastic food, meet some awesome people, and ride a boat that was a house.

Obviously, every day isn't that busy, but if there is one thing that keeps me coming back to my job, it's the knowledge that I'm going to be doing something different, learning something new, every freaking day.

I mean...how awesome is that?

Some people are happy to stick with an office job, they like the comfort of having a job with specific hours and great pay, don't get me wrong, there are moments I'm jealous. I would love to be able to go to a class at the gym right after work at 5:30, I would love to be making considerably more than I'm making - I won't divulge, just know that one of my friends says I "work for peanuts" and another refers to my occupation, lovingly, as "slave labor" - but this is one of those jobs that I absolutely love.

I'm paid to tell stories.
I'm paid to go on adventures.
I'm paid to ask questions.
I'm paid to write.
I'm paid to read.
I'm paid to follow my dreams.

It really doesn't get much better than that.

4 comments:

  1. The life of news. Doesn't get any better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I love your blog, my name's Kemi! I am planning on majoring in Telecommunications at UF, can you describe your life as an anchor, or in broadcasting? Do you travel? Work 365 days a week? What's the starting salary? Sorry if it's too much, I am just very interested 'tis all!

    Here's my blog if you would like to check it out http://fromshytoconfident.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kemi! Ahh, great choice, it's an amazing program.

      My life in broadcasting? Well it's certainly an interesting one, lol. I currently have Thursdays and Fridays off, if a holiday falls on one of those days, I'm working - no questions asked generally. I don't travel as much as I'd like. Starting in a small market generally means that I stick to news in that area. While I'm based in Panama City Beach, I've also been out to cover stories in Destin, Cape San Blas, Apalachicola. Personal travel is possible, but it's difficult until you've earned some vacation time! Starting salary well…it depends on where you start, but generally it's not that great. I can say with confidence that I get paid less than most teachers and work 12 months out of the year, lol.

      If you have any more questions, by all means hit me up! I'll definitely take a look at your blog.

      Hope you have a great day. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for replying, and sorry for the errors just read what I typed lol!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover